We are hiring a new Managing Editor. This is a paid, part-time, permanent position.
We are looking for a talented editor with a commitment to our values. The perfect candidate will have editorial experience from a publication such as a student newspaper, website or community blog – this doesn’t necessarily have to be about videogames. It’s the ideal role for someone looking for professional work experience.
- You will assist the Editor-in-Chief in turning finished articles into polished masterpieces. At Five out of Ten, we pride ourselves on working extensively with our contributors to bring out the best in their work. This involves substantial editing work and copy-editing of five features for every issue (we release five issues a year).
- You will assist the Editor-in-Chief in choosing commissions for future issues by evaluating submitted pitches, in line with our ethos.
- You may be required to contribute features to issues of the magazine: this will usually be agreed well in advance.
- You will assist with promoting the magazine through social media and other channels and will act as an official representative of the brand.
- You will assist with the overall direction of the magazine and be involved in our exciting, top-secret projects.
We will need a representative sample of your feature writing. If possible, please also provide examples of your editing abilities (i.e. an article ‘before’ and ‘after’ your editing process). The workload is roughly ten hours of editing per issue, plus additional time for other work, but that is a guideline. We release five issues a year: one every two months, with a break in June and December. You’ll be working remotely – we don’t have an office!
You should have:
- Outstanding editorial skills: an understanding of what makes a great feature, what makes a great Five out of Ten feature, and the ability to work with our contributors to help them realise an article’s potential.
- A history of writing bold, unique and excellent longform features.
- Excellent standard of written English: flair, omniscient understanding of spelling and grammar, appreciation of clarity and brevity, and a distaste for cliché. Five out of Ten is a British English publication, but we will accept applications and sample pieces in any variation.
- An understanding of why we do what we do and a commitment to our values.
- A different background of education and experience that complements our team.
Five out of Ten shares all profits between its contributors. You will be paid half of the Editor’s share: therefore there is no fixed salary, but you’ll share in the success of the magazine as we grow.
If you would like to apply or have any questions about the post, please email Alan directly – alan [at] thiswebsite.com. Please include a short description of yourself, your experience and why you’d like a job, plus weblinks or PDFs of two representative samples of your work as requested above. The closing date for applications is 11pm GMT, 16th January 2015.