We’re not accepting feature pitches right now.
Five out of Ten publishes the best independent games writing in the world. We offer our writers a blank canvas – as long as you’re writing about videogames! We’ll never be the world’s biggest magazine, but we want to be the best, and fairest.
We recommend you read some of our features before you pitch. Try our free Patreon Power Pack.
What we’re looking for
- Unique, imaginative, and inspirational games criticism and experiential writing.
- Well-researched, thought-provoking investigative journalism.
- Voices from beyond the mainstream: we have a proud history of publishing work from women, minorities, and LGBTQ backgrounds. We strongly encourage these writers to pitch.
What we’re not looking for
- Anything we’ve published before. Check our back catalogue – no excuses!
- Event coverage or interviews, unless part of a larger feature.
- Anything about these games (we love them, we’ve just covered them too much!): Elder Scrolls, Dishonored, The Sims, Unreal, Far Cry series, Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock, Minecraft, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Metal Gear.
What you need to know
- We pay each contributor a proportion of magazine sales, plus a share of our Patreon income, for at least one year after publication. We don’t guarantee revenue, but we’ll pay what we can: the more people that buy the magazine and back our Patreon, the more you get!
- If we release any anthologies or bundles, we’ll pay you commissions on these too.
- We do not accept republications of previously published work.
- We only want concrete feature ideas. Do not send generic freelance work requests.
- Include two writing samples and a link to your portfolio in the fields below. Writing need not have been professionally published. We don’t want your CV.
- We reply to everyone, but it takes time. Please don’t chase us with follow-up emails.
- We’re accepting submissions until we have enough. Pitch early to avoid disappointment.
- One email per pitch, please.